[Archers] Ymir question

Craig morgul at sc.rr.com
Fri Jan 25 15:31:37 PST 2013

Lord Janyn,
First of all, I want to say that I saw and followed the discussion on
the Facebook group, and I thought you handled yourself well, and while
you may have been angered, you didn't let it show, and you are to be
commended.

Personally, I was insulted by the situation myself.  I've been an
archery marshal now for almost 4 years.  In fact, I took my first class
at Ymir.  To have someone say that there are only a handful that he
trusts to run a range at an event that he is MiC for is an affront to
myself and many other archery marshals who are trained to run the range
safely.  I have run many events, though not super huge kingdom level
ones, but I feel confident in myself to believe that I could safely run
a good shoot at Ymir.  Even if there are a large number of archers,
there are usually other marshals or experienced archers who can be
enlisted to assist with no worries about compromising safety.  As you
yourself mentioned, the archery marshals in the Kingdom are well
qualified and trusted, else you would not allow them to be marshals.

Yes, as MiC, it is his call to not have archery.  i think it is a
misguided decision, but it is his decision.  However, I have heard of
several people who will not be attending Ymir now because of the
decision to not have archery.  It's one thing to not have archery
because there simply isn't a marshal availible.  Down here in SC, we are
very short on archery marshals, and it's been tough sometimes getting
one.  But it's another thing to cancel archery because none of the few
archers you know aren't availible, even though there are other, fully
qualified and competent marshals that could do it.

You have not let us down.  You offered to help, and you attempted to
educate.  Ultimately, however, it is the decision of the MiC and the
autocrat whether or not to have a particular martial activity.

I don't know if it would be worthwhile, or if it would be a bad idea, to
let the autocrat know if you are choosing to not attend Ymir because of
the decision to not have archery.  I leave that to each individual.

Archery already tends to get relegated to the "back 40" - out of sight,
out of mind - and we constantly fight an uphill battle to keep our
martial activity availible.  We need to educate autocrats and MiCs on
how archery works, and the safety standards that we hold ourselves to.

And on the Shameless Plug(tm) side, if you are upset because you are
unable to shoot archery at Ymir, rest assured that the following
weekend, at Nottinghill Coill Baronial Birthday and Investiture, there
WILL be archery, and you won't have to hike down the road to shoot it.
I hear that the autocrat is a really cool guy who enjoys archery.

- Lord Cian mac Cellacháin hUí Dublaich
   Target Archery Regional Marshal, SC/GA

(mka Craig)