[Archers] Archery at Ymir

Kalisa Aleksandrovna scakalisa at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 29 15:32:46 PST 2013

Good evening,

We were recently made aware of some tension and disagreements regarding archery at Ymir.  After several discussions with people involved with the event, archery will now be happening, although details still need to be ironed out.  I feel it is important to share with you how that decision was made.  We support Master Gaston's original decision not to hold archery based on the lack of a marshal with whom he was familiar and comfortable.  As someone who meets that criteria has stepped forward, Master Gaston has agreed to hold archery in order to make the event more attractive to more people.  This result was reached by picking up a telephone and having an actual conversation. Additional, private conversations
 may be needed with several individuals before this situation is resolved to everyone's satisfaction, but details of those conversations do not need to be posted here.

A private, reasoned conversation is always the best approach to a disagreement. This situation flared when someone posted rude personal attacks, including profanity, on a public forum (the Facebook event page), behavior which is both counterproductive and intolerable.  It is unbecoming of our participants and sets a terrible example for anyone who might be considering attending their first event.  Reading the recent emails on this subject here on the archery marshals list was also discouraging.

Archery will happen because several people, including us, want as many people as possible to have a great time at the event.  It is
 not happening because of the whining and complaining that has happened online.  That is not the way to resolve problems.  We hope that the next time you are unhappy about the way an event is being handled, you will reach out privately to learn more about the situation and offer assistance.

Please also remember that while archery may be booming in the northern reaches of the kingdom and in pockets of the southern region, there is a vast swath across the middle of Atlantia where archery is just not happening with the same frequency and fervor.  Applying the norms you experience in your own area to people and groups you do not know in other regions is short-sighted.

In Service,

Vladimir and Kalisa
Tsar and Tsaritsa