[Archers] Crossbow Triggers - was: Re: Pennsic and Atlantian Archery

Siegfried siegfried at crossbows.biz
Mon Aug 5 12:49:08 PDT 2013

> 3.       The question was raised to me by a few people about a rule in
> Atlantia about crossbows with “triggers.” I think there is confusion
> about this because of the modern crossbows we typically see at Pennsic
> and not in our own Kingdom. There is no rule stating that crossbows with
> triggers are illegal or classified in the open class. As I pointed out,
> all of our crossbows have a trigger mechanism to function, this is
> nothing new. The discerning part of a crossbow that puts it into the
> “open” class Vs. period would be the use of a rear site. We do not allow
> modern crossbows, split prods or strings that “float” above the tray of
> the bow. These are not consistent with “spirit of the game” and our
> thoughts.

As someone who placed the 'no modern rifle-stock or pistol grip
crossbows' rule into our ruleset many years ago:

Correct, there is nothing meant to ban crossbows with triggers.  As in
fact, 'modern looking triggers', were used in period. (16th century),
but also even earlier in China.

The ban was for the 'looks like a duck' obviously modern crossbows, that
do nothing to give the medieval feel on our range.

Siegfried

PS.  Many 'period style' pistol grips exist, but they look like a period
16th century pistol.  Very different visually to a modern pistol.

PPS.  I find the whole 'open' vs 'period' classification, that IKAC
uses, for crossbows to be very 'awkward'.  Given that really the only
distinction is having a rear sight.  And rear sites are period.   So how
is having one, making you 'non-period'?  Bah

--
Barun Siegfried Sebastian Faust, OP - Baron Highland Foorde - Atlantia