[Archers] Handicapped Archers

Garth Groff ggg9y at virginia.edu
Mon Oct 8 03:57:01 PDT 2012

Lord Janyn and Friends,

I am really pleased to hear your thoughts on this. It isn't something
I've faced, but really want to do the right thing if any person with
special needs wants to participate in archery.

Sitting down is no problem (I shoot sitting down on my basement range,
but that's to keep my longbow from poking through the ceiling tiles). I
have been concerned about the use of a string release or other
prohibited device and how that relates to scored shoots. I assume from
your post that a special needs archer using such devices may shoot for
recorded scores and in competitions, subject to reporting to you via a
quarterly or event report.

An archer in a power chair or scooter might have a hard time accessing
some of our targets at tournaments. I'm thinking of the uphill targets
at the Pennsic St. Sebastian's shoot. This is something to consider and
bring to the attention of event autocrats when laying out our ranges.

Thanks much for your encouragement on this question, both to archers
with special needs and to us as marshals.

Yours Aye,

Mungo