[Archers] Handicapped Archers

Jay Nardone jaynardone at comcast.net
Sun Oct 7 16:30:37 PDT 2012

Good evening everyone. I wanted to take a minute to post about this topic
because tonight I was contacted by a Mistress in our Kingdom who was
diagnosed with Fibromyalgia, the same disease my wife has been living with
for the last 12 years. She very graciously asked if we would accept her on
our range if she had to sit to shoot and use a release aid. As our rule
provide, we do have provisions to accept handicapped archers as long as they
operate within our safety rules. I know some of our new and maybe even some
of our more senior marshal's might not have dealt with a handicapped person
in their time marshaling, and I wanted to make sure we don't just simply run
anyone off because of their condition. As these folks come to our shoots and
ranges, please make sure you are welcoming and accepting of their issues. If
they are safe, and you are assured they can be safe I want us to make sure
they get the chance to enjoy archery just as we do. The call will ultimately
reside with the MIC's and I will back you if you feel there was just reasons
to deny them the ability to shoot, but please make sure you have valid
reason to do so. If anyone has seen Merlin at Pennsic, he is an inspiration
to us all and probably shoots a heavier poundage bow than most of us!

In Service