[Archers] St. Sebastians III?????

dconrad at comporium.net dconrad at comporium.net
Mon Nov 5 05:01:10 PST 2012

I have to agree with Mungo, perhaps we need to reduce thenumber of targets in order to have better coverage with Marshals.  Also, reducing the targets would eliminate some of the problems with overlapping safety areas.  So far, we've had no big safety problems, but having targets operating with no Marshals and over lapping safety areas, we are asking for trouble.

I marshalled one of the targets last Pennsic and when I left the range in the early afternoon, there was no one scheduled to take my place.  I was assured that there would be someone coming, but don't know if anyone ever did.  During the hours that I was at my post, I did not see a marshal at the target to my right.  Archers seemed to be simply coming to the area, reading the directions and shooting.  The distance from my target to the other was too far for me to actually check to see if they needed a marshal's help, so the possiblity of my marshalling two areas was not an option.

I know that many Marshals were at the range for the entire day, which is dedication above and beyond!  We need to be able to put on a fun and safe shoot.  Providing adequate Marshals is part of that.  Perhaps we do need to actively recruit volunteers from other Kingdoms and aas Mungo suggested, reduce the number of targets to one we can adequately manage.

Aidan Morgana Evans