[Archers] St. Sebastians III?????

John Atkins cogworks at triad.rr.com
Sun Nov 4 10:11:48 PST 2012

If the other kingdoms are not champing at the bit to do the St.
Sebastian I think Atlantia should continue.  Now, having said that a few
things.

First I think your mention of a marshal at each shooting station is not
neccessary.  At SAAD only those stations requring some form of
non-shooter involvement, i.e. causing motion, timed, are staffed by a
marshal.  If we are an honorable society and we all know archers are THE
most honorable among us, then I don't think a marshal is required for
every station.

In my local area we have discussed the need for understudies, i.e.
instigating a mentor system.  As we know, running a shoot of this size
successfully takes a high degree of organization and planning.  Few are
able to simply jump in and "make it happen" without prior experience.
There are many who would like to jump right in but often their results
are less than satifactory.  As such I think it a good idea to appoint a
"deputy" to the main lead for this shoot.

To elicite more assistance with set up, tear down and marshalling we
might consider offering "bonus points" to those who assist with these
activities.  These points could either be added to their shooting score
to better increase their chance of winning or have a "helper's" category
with it's own "prize".  OK, it is flagrant buying of help but it often
works.

We missed last year's Pennsic as we had, just had to spend my two weeks
in Italy touring some really old buildings followed by one week in
Ireland trying to wash away my sorrows of missing Pennsic with pints of
Guiness.  :-)  However, we are planning on being at Pennsic again next
year and am willing to assist however needed.

cog