[Archers] News article on child shot with arrow

John Atkins cogworks at triad.rr.com
Wed May 23 04:21:26 PDT 2012

I've been to a few Highland Games that have longbow competitions and
been amazed at the lax safety standards.  The first one I went to there
were about 15 of us archers standing on the line doing practice shots.
As msot of us finished the "marshal" who was in the middle of the line
shooting, simply looked both ways and said "OK, stop shooting".  As we
moved to collect our arrows I started to put my bow down only to realize
I was the only one doing that.  Everyone else was carrying their bow
down range.  Part of the competition was shooting aerial targets.  Not a
big deal except the guy launching the targets was standing in front of
the shooting line simply tossing the targets up in the air!  It made me
appreciate all the safety precautions we employ in the SCA.

cog