[Archers] From the SCA-Announcement list

John Atkins cogworks at triad.rr.com
Tue Mar 6 05:18:06 PST 2012

(As Mungo starts his posts) My Fellows of the Bow,

As we are discussing a peerage for archery let me suggest something for us
to contemplate.  Within the SCA archers and archery is not perceived as a
skilled activity.  There is the incorrect perception that historically
archers came from the lower classes.  Sir Jon on the SCA Archery list has a
very well researched and written article refuting this misconception yet it
persists in the SCA.  The second point is that the heavy community is of the
belief that once an individual can no longer swing a stick or take the
physical abuse of heavy fighting they shoot archery "'cuz it's easy".

So what are we to do?  At most events archery is tucked in the back forty,
out of sight and out of mind.  If, at every chance, we could bring archery
out in front of the populace they would begin to understand that to hit a 4
inch bull's eye at 40 yards or more consistently takes a great deal of
skill.  Or getting off 6 - 10 shafts in 30 seconds is not something just any
ol' archer is capable of.  The Grand Exhibition Tournament at Gulf Wars is
one major effort to bring archery to the populace.  Personally I would like
to see it improved to involve the spectators a bit more but it is a step in
the right direction.

So the responsibility is on our collective shoulders - bring archery out
from its hidden location in the back forty.  Show our skill to the populace.
Perhaps then these erroneous perceptions of archers and the skill level
required to be a good archer will subside and respect for our craft will
increase.  We can only hope...

cog