[Archers] Everyone okay?

Alexandratos, Jerry (NIH/NCI) [E] alexanje at mail.nih.gov
Sun Jul 1 06:45:47 PDT 2012

Fen,
    There is a lot more to cutting up a tree with a chainsaw than just sawing away.  Wear gloves, heavy shirt & pants, steel-toed shoes, and *safety goggles*.  You have to cut the tree so that it does not roll and hurt you or break anything else (may need temporary bracing).  Let no one be anywhere in front or even far to the side while you are cutting.  Start with smaller stuff in manageable pieces, clear it away so there's no tangles underfoot & you're not reaching out or up, and work your way to bigger stuff.  You also have to know that the chainsaw has been well maintained, since a dull cutting "blade"or sticking chain is dangerous.  I'm _not_ an expert, and this is the bare minimum. (Would you learn to drive a car from a 1 paragraph guide? Taking advice from a random guy on the internet about a chainsaw is like going from reading a car's owners' manual badly translated from a foreign language to taking the car for a 70-mph ride on an icy curvy road. Combo of homicidal & suicidal, right? Don't do it.)  I strongly suggest that you really get good advice from an expert before you start.  Better yet, ask the expert to show you how to do it and work under supervision.  Your non-widow and heirs will thank you.  regards,
Jerry

p.s. My part of northern Maryland experienced minor power outages and dropped trees.  No one I know was hurt. -J