[Archers] Hugh Soar's CROOKED STICK

Kent Baldwin whitegrifn at aol.com
Sun Jan 8 08:55:36 PST 2012

I have a copy of THE CROOKED STICK, and found it to be a good source of
information on Medieval archery as well. I don't recall reading in it that
he said that "left-handed archers were not tolerated", but if you say so,
I'm sure it's in there somewhere.  I find it interesting that he would say
this, considering the fact that there are numerous period paintings showing
archers shooting both left & right handed in battle, including a couple in
THE CROOKED STICK itself. (Check out the illustrations on Pages 73 & 83.)  I
have seen at least a half dozen other examples in several other books as
well.  While it doesn't definitively prove that the archers were naturally
left handed, it shows that some archers shot that way, which would
contradict the logic of Soar's statements. FYI, illustrations on Pages 15,
31 & 33 show a single archer apparently shooting left-handed, but I usually
discount ones like this, because it is possible that the original artwork
was printed backwards in the book.

Being a left handed archer myself, I tend to notice these things.

Tnek