[Archers] 4th Peerage

Gordon Kinnie am_piobaire at comcast.net
Thu Feb 16 14:51:18 PST 2012

My two cents worth.

I would like the current peerages to recognize the efforts that archers,
siege engineers and rapier fighters put into their trade.

I will use myself as an example -
I shoot a fiberglass and bamboo Japanese longbow in the Japanese form, a
historical bow or as we call it a period bow.

Over the last few years I have used bamboo arrows, hardwood footed arrows,
conical footed arrows, changed spine 4 or 5 times, changed feathers from 3
to 4 back to 3 fletch, tried hand cut feathers and returned to shield cut,
changed my forward of center on arrows.  All these things required research
and learning a new skill set.

This was all done to perfect the martial skill and my accuracy with this
bow.  This is a science, this is the science of archery but it will never be
seen by anyone but the other archers as my scores in RR slowly rise with
each improvement and few outside the archery community understand the
efforts or the science involved.

I have helped set up and take down many shoots, painted and drawn many
targets, and helped marshal more times than can be counted.  I have worked
with newcomers, youth and at pennsic to teach archery and provide a safe
environment.

These efforts are done because I love archery and think everyone should have
fun and learn about archery.  Sadly, this service to the community is seen
by archers and few others.  Few except archers understand the real efforts
that are put forth.

I have written and taught lessons on the Basic of Archery, the History of
the bow in Japan, making Japanese Arrows.  I have helped write the new
archery 101 course, wrote the new CA 101 course, wrote the CA exam, helped
update the CA rules.  I have made a set of Japanese arrows with the intent
of showing them at 30th as an A&S project.  (did not make it back on Sunday,
so no one has seen them

Those with an interest in archery and few others have seen or even know of
these things.

This is an example, do I think I deserves a peerage - NO.

 I know many who have done much more than this in all the martial activities
of rapier, siege and archery and have received the highest honors that the
activity has to bestow.   I feel that those that put forth the effort in
each of these activities, up hold the ideals and support the society,
deserve to be recognized by their peers.

I believe that is what a peerage is, the recognition of outstanding efforts
by your peers in your community.

Godai