[Archers] Archers Digest, Vol 101, Issue 19

John Atkins cogworks at triad.rr.com
Wed Feb 15 08:26:19 PST 2012

Fen, I could not agree with you MORE!  In one long discussion with a new
Trimarian knight, it became obvious, and even stated by the new knight, that
to become a knight there was one criteria, fight well.  Garb, chivalry,
participation in the other arts, even knowing some history, not required.
Just hit people really well.  In my 18 years in this club I too have seen it
go from an historical re-enactment club to a fight club that wears funny
clothes.

Why, is the question.  I think it is because those of us who have been
around for a long time have not done a good job of schooling the new folks.
We have allowed a slack standard.  Imagine a person standing in front of a
king who was a stickler on "trying to be period", wearing mundane clothes at
a very large SCA event saying "I don't like garb, it isn't comfortable."
That person should have been taken aside and talked to.  (Not trying to be
an AH here but if one attends a large SCA event then one should at least
make a decent attempt at period garb.)  If they chose to persist with their
mundane choices fine, but they should also have it made known to them the
effect they are having on the rest of us.

So I believe it falls upon us to teach the new folks a higher standard, and
push to accept only that higher standard.  Does that mean everyone has to
wear a $500 pair of boots?  No.  It does mean that wearing white Nikes
should be pointed out as not acceptable.  Yes.  There are low cost
solutions.  In my area I have started a program with this as one of its main
objectives.  I can't change the thinking of the chiv, but I can lead by
example and gather folks about me who are like thinking.  In my delusional
state, I like to think that this group will become a group others would like
to become members of and thereby improve a small aspect of this club.

Just as a side note - I was asked, a few years back, by another small
re-enactment group to attend one of their events to provide archery.  They
had no one who could do that and they wanted to get it started.  I went.  I
was most impressed by their standard of "everyone must appear period from at
least 10 feet away".  So I made a point of attending their events in my most
period looking garb.  I even bought an ELB to complete the kit (of course
other reasons as well, but we won't go there here). I saw people wearing
cheap  cotton tunics over camo cargo pants.   I hit the wall when their
"prince" was holding "court" while wearing Teva sandals.  When I confronted
him about it I got the old "they're more comfortable".  Birkenstocks I could
accept as a valid attempt at appearing period, but Teva?  I considered doing
an A&S project "proving" that Tevas were period because they have inkle
produced trim as straps, etc.  (Things like this tend to bring out the worst
in me!)  Needless to say I no longer participate with the group as I can get
that right here in the SCA.

cog