[Archers] Archers Digest, Vol 101, Issue 19

Fen & Michelle mobishob at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 15 07:51:48 PST 2012

I'm agnostic on this one. Back in the 80s I did heavy and watched my Knight go through the process - from unbelt to Count to Squire, then Duke and finally Knight. It was an arduous journey.
I don't want to be one of those "back in the day" types, but the standards have really slipped since then. There are Knights running around now that have no business wearing the belt. And I wish there was a way to yank belts from those subpar knights (other than felony charges).

For our own crowd, I can already think of a handful of shooters that are worthy.  Although some are already squires or peers.  But I would support a peerage for archery IF the candidates were squired out to heavy weapon Knights of good character. I strongly believe the first generation should be well-schooled in all aspects of the Chivalry  - Seven Virtues, chess, dancing, etc. That way we have a strong foundation to pass on to the next generation, and our peers will be less likey to stray from the "righteous" path.

But reading between the lines of the census summary, it looks as if (at best) they will create a peerage for rapier only. Then table the discussion for several more years. Not trying to rain on any parades - just don't want us to get our hopes up only to lose people to disappointment and frustration.

Cheers
Fen

Atlantian Archery. Nothing exists within 100 yards without our permission.