[Archers] Archers Digest, Vol 101, Issue 16

John Atkins cogworks at triad.rr.com
Wed Feb 15 08:07:06 PST 2012

I don't know that a fourth peerage including archers really makes archers
"part of chivalry".  Are laurels and pelicans part of chiv?  "I stab you
with my knitting needle!"  Peerage to me simply means that an individual has
reached the highest possible level of their craft within the SCA.  Sad to
say, but I know of "knights" who don't even have a defined persona, but they
sure fight well....  To me, peers are individuals that represent what we
should all be striving to achieve in this game.  Sadly, not all peers fit
that model.

The other and perhaps main factor against a fourth peerage is the obvious,
the SCA is run by the Chivalry.  Our system of selecting kings proves the
point.  Historically this is NOT always how kings were selected.  Yes, yes,
heritage, but also the individual who was the best leader and organizer and
commanded loyalty became the king.  The Mongols are an example culture and
look what they accomplished.  But in the SCA only a heavy fighter, and often
only one who is a knight, sits the throne.  I have had many discussions with
heavies, not just members of the chiv, about the animosity against archers.
I understand their point of view.  Archers take people out at distance and
the heavy "never even gets to hit them".  They don't like that.  Most
heavies think being able to hit a 4 inch target at 20 , 30, 40 yards or more
is easy.  We archers know the truth of that.  But the perception is that
when you are too old to fight heavy, you take up archery.  The perception
that archery was NEVER done by nobles in period also exists, wrong, but
exists.

Thus the deck is stacked against archers ever having their own peerage or
being "equals" with the chiv based on stupidity, ignorance of history, and
bias.  But, as evidenced by Janyn recently and Lorelei in the past, as well
as many others on this list, could an archer not be recognized for their
"art form" by being elevated to a laurel?  Let's be honest, most archers who
we all look up to make a lot of their own gear and do a beautiful job of it
and can talk for hours about the history of their craft.  Are these not
attributes of a laurel?  Archers come much closer to sheep-to-shawl than
most laurels have.

Just my two cents worth,

cog