[Archers] Atl Atl Rules

barysears barysears at verizon.net
Mon Dec 10 15:53:40 PST 2012

My 2 cents worth:
I really think 5 darts in 30 seconds is asking too much.  Of course, I
still can't shoot 5 arrows in 30 seconds in my rolling nut crossbow.

I haven't seen anyone toss a dart 100 yards.  I think Reyne has the
record in Bright  Hills and she used to be trained in the javelin.
Franky, my shoulder aches just thinking about 40 yards.I don;t want to
lose out because I'm not strong enough.  Even with a 30 lb. bow I'd
still have a chance.

One point that hasn't been brought up - the atlatl itself.  There seem
to be three varieties - a trainer version in which the dart is held on
by jamming the dart in a notch; the regular atlatl in which a finger
holds the dart in place, and one I haven't actually seen in person, a
really whippy atlatl that could have a weight to give it more 'whip'.
Are they all legal?

I guess while I'm at it, do we want standards for darts?  River reed vs.
solid shaft?  What about length of shaft - shorter shafts are easier to
through but longer shafts may go further.

barre