[Archers] Atl-atl

Michael michaelstuart at gmail.com
Mon Dec 10 14:57:34 PST 2012

Just throwing my opinions into the ring...

We should keep in mind that atl-atls originally were used on targets
ranging from elephant-sized (paleolithic) to horse-and-rider (vs. the
Conquistadors). Of the alternatives already suggested, I would favor
20-30-40 distances for ease of setup and running the range, and the larger
120 cm or 4x4 square target face. Though targets of life-size megafauna at
ranges up to clout distances could be a fun themed shoot some time for both
bow and atl-atl...People will miss at 40, but I miss at the 40 with a bow
all the time, yet keep coming back for more. 10 yards is too close, in my
opinion, because with the length of the dart alone you've already closed
20% of the distance to the target. If you're that close, you should just
run up to the target and spear it by hand :)

I think people have 3 darts simply because that's the unit that the folks
selling them have chosen to bundle them in. If the round required 6, they
would be sold 6 at a time. Having made both arrows and darts, I think darts
actually are a lot easier to make because there are fewer parts (no
separate nocks), and they fly fine with 2 flu-flu style feathers that don't
need to be trimmed in profile.

It seems like it would make sense to make the RR consist of 6 darts at each
distance, so people who only have 3 can throw twice to score while the
archers shoot an IKAC round. I think as the atl-atl becomes more popular,
people will own more darts, just as most of us have well over the 6+ arrows
we need (OK, cog and others need 10+ on the speed rounds, but 6 is
sufficient for us mere humans). I think the atl-atl round should involve
the same number of shots as with a bow, as this would keep the RR score
categories the same and minimize confusion. It is fine with me if no one
can attain GBE with the atl-atl for a few years. Right now most of the
atl-atl equipment I see has a lot of room for development (does anyone
match their atl-atl shafts for spine and weight? not to my knowledge). When
the equipment gets better, accuracy will improve.

Anyway, that's probably a long enough ramble for the moment. It's great to
think that we will be seeing more atl-atl action on the range.

Eirik Gralokkr