[Archers] Atlantia Target Archery DEM Change

Jay Nardone jaynardone at comcast.net
Sat Aug 11 16:45:52 PDT 2012

My brothers and sisters of the bow, I wanted to wait until the official
transfer was completed prior to sending my hello note. For those of you that
don't know, at Pennsic this year, during the St. Sebastian's II shoot, the
King and Queen held court to transfer the DEM position from THL Lorelei
Greenleaf to me. First of all I want to say a heartfelt thank THL Lorelei
Greenleaf for all she has done, she is a mentor and true friend of mine and
inspiration to us all. I am excited to have been given this opportunity and
look forward to serving the Kingdom and all of you. Someone wrote and
congratulated me and said they would be proud to work for me, but I look at
it just the opposite, I am here to work for you all, my marshals and
friends. Without your attention to detail, dedication and thoughts and
ideas, we would not have the shining example of archery that we enjoy in
Atlantia and the known world.

I am excited to get to work on the items I feel are needing attention in our
Kingdom. I would like to announce that THL Seamus McRay will be my Emergency
DEM, I view his position as a partner and will look to him to share in
supporting archery in our Kingdom. I know some might be concerned that both
of us reside in the Northern part of Atlantia. I want to assure you all that
this will not be an issue, most of you that know me know that I try to
attend most of the archery related and other Kingdom events that I can. In
the event that I can't attend an event I would look to Seamus and our
regional marshals to provide coverage as they have in the past.

I have already started a list and after initially talking with Sir Otto, I
will move out on working those action items. I have already re-written the
Target Archery Marshal class handout and teachers notes and will be posting
them on the Kingdom Archery site. I am currently finishing the 1st edition
of the Atlantia Target Archery Handbook. After approval from Sir Otto and
the Crown, it will also be posted. This will be a one stop place for new
archers and all of us to have all the pertinent information required to
describe archery in Atlantia to include rules, Marshallate information, MIT
class information and MIT form. Some of the other items include a revamp of
our regional marshals responsibilities, I would like to make their
involvement more effective and get them to assist with marshal renewals,
expired classes and memberships, etc.

Someone asked me earlier this year what my agenda was? That took me a back a
bit because on thinking about this I have no agenda, well alright I do have
an agenda but it is simple. My agenda is to have fun and keep Atlantia
Archery safe, if you're not having fun your doing it wrong! This won't be
the last time you hear me say that. So to answer this question, here is my
answer:

1.       Educate our autocrats and marshals to work more closely together. I
would like to see archery be held in a more central location to the event as
long as the site permits from a safety perspective. I would like to see our
marshals be more proactive with autocrats so they work together early enough
in planning that archery is not an afterthought and site layout is planned
correctly.

2.       Continue to educate our marshal's on our rules and how to enforce
them properly. I have heard of 6 instances now already this year where
marshal's "made up" rules which caused archers who drove great distances not
to be able to shoot. I will always support marshal's erring on the side of
safety, but I don't want people turned away for "made up" rulings. We have
decent and recently updated rules and I would like to see them enforced
properly.

3.       Correct the multiple small issues with incorrect data on the Earl
Marshal's page as well as our Atlantia Archery page. I would like updated
data to be stored in one location and all other pages to simply link to that
data. This will assure that we only have to update data in one location and
the links will always point you to that correct data.

4.       Implement a simple multiple choice test for MIT's to better align
us with the other disciplines.

5.       Implement a Marshal's Warrant ID card that Warranted Marshal's will
need to show to identify themselves as marshal's. It will be renewed yearly
based on your membership and marshal's class standings.

Those of you that know me, know how serious I am about archery in the SCA. I
will promise you all that I will always listen to your ideas and thoughts
but we might not always agree. That is perfectly alright and normal but I
will not support negativity, whining and finger pointing. We have too much
to do and need to work together to accomplish it all. Some things are meant
to be discussed in the forums and others might not. I would like to form a
"core" group of target archery marshals (TAMs) that represent the Baronies,
Canton's, Shires, etc that make up Atlantia. I would look to these TAMs as
the core to work certain issues with me when required. I would like to see
St. Sebastian's continue and we even carry out the Known World Archery
Tournament like THL Christophe started the discussion for earlier this year.
That tourney would take a dedicated team to pull off and much planning by
this team. If we conduct it at Pennsic or not it still would be a huge and
fruitful event. Of course I am only thinking out loud here, a little at a
time.

So in closing I want to say thank you all again for the welcomes, I look
forward to working with you all. If you have questions, comments or concerns
please let me know. I am honored to be given this chance to serve Atlantia
and my friends and peers in the Archery community. I will do my best to keep
archery exciting and safe in Atlantia.

In Service,

THL Janyn Fletcher of Lancastreshire