[Archers] archery loaner gear and equipment program - a thought

Garth Groff ggg9y at virginia.edu
Tue Apr 24 08:00:19 PDT 2012

M'Lord Christophe,

I went to his site, but didn't see any tutorial on how to build these
bows. I'm thinking that the shaping would take some skill, and probably
some bending fixtures or jigs. But can they be made in the low poundages
usually needed for loaner use (mostly under 30 lbs., often closer to 20)?

On the safety side, I would really like to shoot some of these bows.
They should be thoroughly tested by several experienced marshals (who
would probably be waiting in a long line for a turn!) before any
decision is made about admitting them to our ranges. I am very concerned
by his comments about shattering at various temperatures.

On the practical side, I see he has added an outside arrow shelf to some
of these bows, but others are shot off the hand. Either type would be
somewhat difficult for a beginner to master, as opposed to a bow with a
cut-in arrow pass.

There should be no problem admitting a bow like this under questions of
authenticity. The rules say, "form and function of pre-17th century
archery", or words to that effect. After all, most of us shoot bows made
with "Ye Olde Fiberglass".

Yours Aye,

Mungo