[Archers] Recommendation

John Atkins cogworks at triad.rr.com
Thu Apr 5 11:02:53 PDT 2012

Your Majesty,

Thank you for expressing in a "Royal manner" what I have thought for many
years.  Specifically, awards given in "order" and awards NOT handed out like
candy at Halloween.  (I may have expressed those thoughts a bit rougher than
you did.)  But your post also brings up an excellent point.  As was posted
here on this list, having your definition of an award for which you were an
integral part of forming was of great value to us all and settled some
discussions we have had.  Thus the idea springs into my otherwise empty
head, perhaps it would be a good idea if the Royals were to give a class at
University explaining their criteria for awards.  Not every University, but
occasionally.  It is frustrating those of us not in the position of a Royal
to make recommendations for awards and see them, seemingly, go ignored when,
in fact, they were not acted upon because our perception of the award is not
in agreement with the Royal who would have given the award.  I'm not
thinking of going through each and every award but rather what is the
criteria a Royal would expect of an individual who they would award a merit
award to or award of high merit.  I believe this would help all the Orders
and recommendations for awards in that we could look at our recommendation
and measure them against the Royal perception of what would be
required/expected of an individual awarded such.

With due respect and looking forward to seeing you on the archery range,

Christophe of Grey