[Archers] Needwood Forest Company of Archers

fenrisulven at comcast.net fenrisulven at comcast.net
Wed Nov 16 08:17:01 PST 2011

The Sunday practice is actually Roxbury Mill's, not ours.   T he Needwood practice is Wednesday evenings starting around 6pm, but we shut down for winter and start back up mid-march. Its more of a daylight issue than due to rain or snow.

There is no consensus, no backtalk  allowed -  I am the Vinetar, the Captain. W hatever I say goes.  Usually I give alot of orders and everyone laughs and then  ignore me.  We have lots and lots  of rules than appear super secret only because I haven't imagi n ed them yet. I do get to wear a silly jester's hat as my  "cap of maintenance".  To which everyone points and laughs and then goes back to ignoring me. As you can see, we're a very casual and goofy group.

In all seriousness, I believe Timothy of Shaftsbury formed the Needwood Company as a training tool for event shoots. Our Wednesday practices focus on splitting into teams to shoot at novelty targets. Sometimes we teach tactics and teamwork, sometimes we test out someone's newest novelty target prototype (still working on the remote controlled helo target for flu flus. sigh). The training has paid off. I don't need to list all the Needwood Archers that routinely sweep the lower and upper ranks at each event, you already know how awesome they are! (sorry, obligatory boast of my people).

We do span several baronies. We claim no precendence on any household or company - you can be a member of your Baronial Archery Company and of Needwood and shoot for whoever you choose whenever you want, even against us in some cases. Some of our founding members are Baron William of Storvik, Greggor, Gregge, and Timothy.

We have a very strict membership policy, you must:

1) love archery

2) shoot with us at least one wednesday

3) want to join us

4) meet us at an event

5) express your love of archery

6) have fun

And yes, our badge is the porcupine:  http://www.needwood.org/index_history.shtml

"The symbol of the Needwood Forest Company of Archers is a porcupine. The idea of adopting the porcupine as a symbol is older than the Company itself. Originally, Æþelwine   proposed (jokingly) that the local archery group should give out an Order of the Porcupine award for people that moved across the firing line to retrieve their arrows before the shooting was done. Later, when the idea of the Company was being bantered about, the porcupine idea rose again. After some Google research, we learned that the porcupine/porpentine idea was more appropriate than we first realized. Teresa de Çaragoça discovered that Louis XII used the porcupine in a badge (see below) with the motto " cominus et eminus " (from near and far), based on the porcupine's purported ability to be dangerous both far away and close up (it was believed at the time that porcupines could throw their quills)."

Cheers

Fen

Vinetar

Needwood Company of Archers