[Archers] ullr's bow and archery guilds

Holly Gibbons holly0920 at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 16 06:42:24 PST 2011

First off, thank you all for your kind words. We are indeed blessed to be in a Barony that so appreciates archery!

The Order of Ullr's Bow is for excellence but also, perhaps more importantly, for service in archery to the Barony of Storvik. The Order name was suggested by Syr Richard de Montbrai and the first scroll, which he made, has a gorgeous norse bow on it. Ullr is the Norse God of both skiing and archery ... the ancient pairing of the sports from winter hunting, as in the biathalon - - that's why the medallions have skis on them! I love the reference to viking culture (appropriate for Storvik) and the relative obscurity of Ullr (though perhaps no longer) ...

As to the question of archery guilds, we in the DC area have the Needwood Forest Company of Archers, which has members in something like five Baronies/Shires, but mainly Roxbury Mill and Storvik. It is a loosely held confederation which is managed by consensus, I think! We all practice on Sunday mornings together at the beautiful Lake Needwood archery range and that gives us some stability and rhythm. There's no set requirement for membership, but it is by appointment upon decision of I am not sure who. And there is no budget. As you can see, informal, but we do have these incredibly way cool badges of a red and white stylized porcupine!
Nuala