[Archers] Pennsic Archer Champions (Masters) Team.

John Atkins cogworks at triad.rr.com
Sat May 14 13:54:40 PDT 2011

Fen,
First and foremost, THANK YOU for understanding.  While it may seem that
the Atlantian DEM has enough say so to appoint folks to the Masters
Team, that if often not the case.  At best, we can "suggest" archers we
feel are worthy.  As I said, if they get selected or not is often out of
our hands regardless of how we feel about it.

This may come as a great surprise to many, but when others do not get a
chance to participate in such things as the Masters Shoot, who are
worthy but due to politics do not, it bothers me a great deal.  There is
an archer who attends Gulf Wars and Pennsic who shoots real horse bows
and is a very good archer, getting off some 14 arrows in 30 seconds,
Jerrod is his name I believe.  He made a comment to me several Pennsic's
ago that caused me serious reconsideration.  As Jerrod is a very good
and very fast archer he told me that he used to go to a lot of mundane
shoots.  As he approached the sign up table other archers would say "Oh,
he's here, withdraw my name, we can't beat him."  It is for that very
reason that I have insisted at every single SAAD we have ever done that
there be categories of shooters based on scores at one shooting station
known only to the MIC.  That way even a novice shooter has a chance to
win something.  Just imagine a shooter who has been doing archery for
three weeks going up against Jonathas, Gregge, Seamus, Colum or
Siegfried.  Perhaps that is the source of the age old argument of
crossbow versus handbow fairness?!?!  While, to some, I may seem callous
and uncaring, that simply is not the case, nor is it with any who have
preceded me or followed me in the position of Atlantian TA DEM.  To use
a Clintonism "I feel your pain."

The issue of winning has been a "problem" of some of the principal
kingdom archery DEMs in the past, one in particular.  To win the war
point one side need only win by a single point.  There really is no need
to crush your opponent.  As you said below, were it not for the war
point, the other side at Pennsic may just concede the shoot to the side
that "wins every time".

So, in moving forward, all hail Nuala and those who have instigated the
Atlantian Pennsic Novelty Shoot.  Perhaps, and no real surprise here,
Atlantia can prove to the known world that 1 - archery can be fun, 2 -
archery should be fun, 3 - there are shoots that can be done that are
fun, 4 - and EVERYONE can participate!

cog
Hard work spotlights the character of people.
Some turn up their sleeves,
some turn up their noses,
and some don't turn up at all.
Sam Ewing