[Archers] Pennsic Archer Champions (Masters) Team.

John Atkins cogworks at triad.rr.com
Sat May 14 11:42:02 PDT 2011

At full risk of reigniting the "flames" of the selection process for the
masters team at Pennsic a little clarification from one who has had to
"play these politics" before.

What Lorelei has passed to us from Godric is how it was always stated
when I was the DEM and had input to the selection process.  Let me say
that one year, early on in my tenure in the position, an Atlantian lady
just missed making the team.  She talked with me afterwards about it,
but the residual effect on me was that it really hit me hard.  This lady
really wanted to be on the team and even though she was a fairly good
archer, she just didn't quite make the cut it in the practice rounds.
In future years when I was able to have a little stronger input to
correct this, she had moved out of kingdom and was no longer in my
"control".  But the point is that every year I was DEM and involved in
the selection process our allie captain made the final choice.  On
occasions I argued with their choice but ultimately the final decision
was theirs.  The number of allies that make the team is NEVER in
Atlantian control.  We make suggestions.  That is an artifact of the
host kingdom's royalty and like it or not, often positions on the
masters team are given out as reward and not for skill.  We all can
think of several examples of this.

Now, having said all of this, please know that if you show up at the
practice/try outs and shoot well you stand a very good chance of making
the team, given enough places and how well you do.  Some years there are
20 places some years there are only 10.  On the other hand if you shoot
well but don't make the team, think of it as a crown lyst.  Many
fighters enter crown lyst simply to be seen.  Believe me when I say the
DEMs of our allies remember year to year who shot well and who did not.
Often I was asked, "What about Longshaft?  Are they here this year?
They shot really well last year."

I offer the above not as an excuse for perpetuation of a Good Ol' Boy
system but as an explanation of how it works.  Often this is not visible
to all the archers shooting and trying out.  Hopefully as the DEM
positions turn over and new blood comes in these prejudices will fall to
the way side and the very best archers will be those who make up the
Master's Teams.  But know that in the past it was CRITICAL for the East
to not just win this competition but to do it's best to crush the
opponent.  Why?  I have no idea.  I'm just stating how it was.  If it
were left solely to me or any of our Atlantian DEMs of the past and I'm
sure of the future, the Master's team would consist of the best of the
best.

I wholeheartedly agree with what Fen has said, "if you've got, prove
it".  But politics and person prejudices get in the way of that.  We are
all human and we all have human shortcomings.  But, due to turn over,
it's like Kevin Costner in Postman, "Things are getting better.  Things
are getting better all the time."

THL Christophe of Grey
Hard work spotlights the character of people.
Some turn up their sleeves,
Some turn up their noses,
And some don't turn up at all.
Sam Ewing