[Archers] this looks FUN!!!

John Atkins cogworks at triad.rr.com
Thu May 5 14:29:43 PDT 2011

OK, here's some ideas I have yet to build, but want to and will......

First imagine a circle with two quarters/pie shapes cut out that oppose
each other.  Thus the reamining part appears as a butterfly.  Behind
that is the target.  The butterfly rotates alternately hiding and
exposing the target.

Yeah, OK, but.......

Option two, or improvement depending totally upon your degree of
sickness.  The target is also on a wheel that rotates in the opposite
direction of the butterfly.  Thus when the target is exposed it is NOT
exposed in the same position each time.

Yeah, OK, those who shot SAAD5 realize my mind needs professional help.
So here's an idea I got while watching Lion King in London.  Yeah, even
then I'm thinking about archery!  I really need help!!

In the play they had a "herd of antelope" crossing the stage.  OK, so
they were not real antelope.  What they were was antelope figures
mounted on rods that were attached to wheels that an actor wheeled
across the stage.  Now the real beauty is that these antelope rods were
attached on the wheel in a manner that the antelope acted much like it
was attached to a cam.  Thus the antelope actually loped across the
stage.  Yes, the target (antelope) would not only be moving up and down
but also forward and backward as the wheel moved.  Now I have some folks
in mind to push this contraption but due to SCA rules I can't use them
thus (I "might" miss...............on purpose) the targets would be
attached to rods attached to a stationary wheel that rotates causing the
target to move up and down AND waggle sideways at the same time.

Then there is the three ring shot.  Imagine three rings spaced on a
rod/board about three feet long.  The rings have a piece of paper in
them and the whole thing rotates horizontally.  The objective is to
shoot one shaft that passes through all three rings.

Option on the above idea - A frame/box that rotates alternately hiding
and exposing the target.  I was gonna do this one for this last SAAD but
just ran out of time to build it.

Then there is the rotating tube that you must shoot through to hit the
target.  Homey did this for us in the woods walk last SAAD.  My sick
"improvement" is to have that tube rotate.

I warned you it would be diabolical but if you have ever shot a SAAD
when I was MIC you all ready knew that!

Hey!  These are no worse that when Siegfried, is that Sickfried?, set up
a shot at Kingdom Archery Championship where you had to shoot through a
rebar grid!!  "Hey, is that Siegfried over there selling arrows and
bolts?"

cog in need of professional
help.......................................but having lots of archery
fun!