[Archers] Legality of 3Rivers large bodkins

Garth G. Groff ggg9y at virginia.edu
Tue Mar 15 09:15:08 PDT 2011

Lady Lorelei and friends,

But these are not broadheads, just big bodkins, actually weighing about
180 grains and about 3/8" across. Some archers might think they are
legal because they AREN'T broadheads. If somebody shows up with these on
our range, I am going to take a literal interpretation of the Society
rule: "No broadheads or tips that cause excessive damage to the targets
shall be used ...."  3Rivers also sells a smaller version at about 140
grains which I haven't measured. I think the damage potential would be
similar.

If anyone just has to shoot traditional arrows, they can still use the
125-grain Ace faux medieval points or the equivalent that 3Rivers and
some English vendors offer (so-called "mod-bods"). These have always
been legal in Atlantia, AFAIK. I can't see why anybody would want to
shoot such heavy points with our light target bows anyway. Their arrows
would drop like a stone.

Too bad in a way, because those big bodkins are really cool points. I
have them on my 3/8" living history arrows, but those shafts are only
for display and looking cool in my quiver at demonstrations.

Kind regards,

Lord Mungo, Shire of Isenfir TA Marshal