[Archers] on bodkins and bamboo shafts

Mike Matthews michaelstuart at gmail.com
Tue Mar 15 13:46:41 PDT 2011

I have been using the 190 grain bodkin points I picked up a year or
two back at SAAD (or maybe it was Assessments, I forget which). I
believe these are the same ones sold as 'long bodkin points' by 3
rivers. They can tear up the legs on wooden target stands a bit but I
have not noticed any additional damage to the target face itself. They
do drop like a log beyond 30 yards, probably also due to the heavy
barrel tapered 3/8" hickory shafts I mounted them on. But I would not
suggest they should not be used, as I have not seen them to cause any
additional target damage.

I also have shot rivercane arrows on and off for a few years and these
are very similar to bamboo. They do not like to hit trees (but whose
arrows do?) and they will shatter in that case, just as my regular
cedar shafts do. The rivercane shafts do not need to be oiled; in fact
they don't even need varnish or paint like wood shafts do, because
they have a naturally shiny and water-resistant surface similar to
bamboo. Society target archery rules say "All shafts shall be of wood
or of bamboo-like materials" so I believe bamboo clearly is
acceptable.

in Service,

Ld. Eirik Gralokkr