[Archers] Youth Target Archery Marshal Program

fenrisulven at comcast.net fenrisulven at comcast.net
Fri Jun 3 09:56:32 PDT 2011

I did look into this and since the archery range is a very public place, and the YMITs would be not alone with anyone, that a background check would not be necessary.
As a mentor of a YMIT, you would be on the range with them for instruction, not alone

My concern is not with the day of the event, but the day prior during set up .  Your experiences may be different, but several times up North its just been me (MIT) and the MIC going out to the site the day before to set up the range, alone together on the site.  I'm assuming part of the YMIT's training includes range set up?  We may not need a rule for what may be a once in a year occurrance, but we need to make sure both our Youth and Marshals are protected, rather than depend on the "common sense" of some parents. Something along the lines of "having more than one adult onsite during range setup/takedown."

It is sad that this is the way it is.  I remember working as a vet tech, when one of my black co-workers escorted a client's daughter to the back of the clinic to use the bathroom.  After he came returned, I warned him never to do that again. He looked at me like I was being a racial bigot, until I explained to him that as males, WE would be ruined financially and socially by any false accusation. And that even after we were cleared (at great expense and turmoil) all anyone would remember is that we were caught up in some pedophile scandal.

Cheers
Fen