[Archers] Youth Target Archery Marshal Program

deallac at juno.com deallac at juno.com
Wed Jun 1 12:28:26 PDT 2011

Enough lurking behind the lines :)   Some comments are geared specifically
at the Youth proposal, and some pertain to the MiT program overall.

I agree with Nuala, in that 15 might be really pushing it.  I was surprised to
see it that low.  Yes, there might be a few who show the maturity to handle
the responsibility, but those should be exceptions, not a guaranteed minimum.

On the other hand, there is nothing that says that 3 MIT sessions is hard and
fast.  I do believe that it is a MINIMUM.  If either the MIT, or the sponsor feels
that the perspective marshal is not ready, then as many additional events
can be required.  There have been many MITs who have helped behind the
scenes 'forever' or have other background,  for whom the 3 sessions is
more than enough :).  That said, maybe for the YMiT, the number makes
sense to probably increase.

Not everyone has access to 'large' events.  Not everyone travels, but that
shouldn't be a reason to prevent them from becoming a marshal.  But.....
what IS a large event?  On Target?  Crescent Guard?  SAAD?  (at the recent
CG games, there were very few crossbows, so it wouldn't have helped all
that much.

2 of the specifics under the YMiT have me concerned or raise
questions (some have somewhat been addressed in this thread)
- Automatic warranting at age 18 - I feel that this needs to be a bit
    more specific.  If someone starts the program at 17.5, somehow
   gets in all the minimums, shouldn't be automagically warranted.  They
   still need to be reviewed as to all parties having agreed that the candidate
   would be deemed okay if they had started as an adult
- 2 'events' per year and who can supervise.  I think that if all of the
   other requirements have been met under non-parental supervision,
   that things like a practice under parental supervision should be an
   option.  There are areas where the number of marshals are low
   (yes hard to believe within our community where we usually see a
   higher marshall/non ration than any other discipline), and if the
   parent is the local marshal, s/he may be the only one at a practice
  with whom the MiT could otherwise work.

Oh, and one other thing that this thread has dissolved to :) -badges
baldrics  - The approved marshal badge is crossed swords (rapier
uses swords, they are just a different type :)).  This has been a
debate for a while.   The baldrics used at Pennsic are not Society
sanctioned (though I know that the East has been trying to get them
through)

Back to lurking :)

YIS

Dealla