[Archers] Youth Target Archery Marshal Program

loreleielkins at aol.com loreleielkins at aol.com
Wed Jun 1 07:44:03 PDT 2011

Thank you Lord Mungo.  These are not picky points you make.  They are exactly what is needed to flesh all this out.

We seem to loose so many of our SCA kids when they become teens, this is an effort to give them a little bit more to stick around for, and also to train up the next generation of archers/marshals.

Let me address your points:

Yes, they should complete all required (3) supervised events (one practice is okay if they participate in all aspects of it, i.e., set up, running the line, etc.) The other two should be events, just like an adult MiT with at least one of them NOT in their home area.

I'd rather not give them a partial warrant.  They should consider themselves privileged to be a Youth Marshal in Training and that aught to be enough. Or, we can give them a special youth marshal badge or something.  We'll have to give that some thought, although their status remains the same in an official capacity.

I put the part about them doing at least two "MiTs" a year so that they don't loose what they've learned.  These can be events or practices.

Yes, the Youth can attend a tourney/practice if their mentor is not there, but the mentor should contact the adult marshal or MiT for target archery ahead of time and make sure it is okay, make sure they are comfortable supervising them.  If they are too busy to supervise the Youth, perhaps another experienced marshal can help with that task.  Knowing this group, that won't be a problem.

As for reporting, a simple email to the DEM would suffice.  "Hi  DEM, so and so Youth was at my practice today, he helped out with inspections and did a pretty good job.  He needs to learn to be a bit louder on the range when calling a hold."  Like dat.  In addition to a quick email, the information should be included in all quarterly reports.

Thanks!  Good stuff.