[Archers] Archery policy changes

Jonathas Jonathas at RedFoxDen.org
Tue Feb 22 07:18:57 PST 2011

I find it interesting after the massive uproar on safety zones last year
that the Law has somehow reverted back to the old wording ....

(OLD) (But what is currently in LAW)
*3.9.3.2.2* At a minimum, each shooting station will have a safety zone that
extends 30 degrees from each end of the shooting line to a line even with
the furthest target, or 50 yards, whichever is closer. The zone will then
extend straight back from those points for 40 yards, or half the distance
from the shooting line to the target, whichever is greater. A larger safety
zone is recommended if possible.

(New)
3.9.3.2.2 At a minimum, each shooting station will have a safety zone that
extends 30 degrees from each end of the shooting line to a line even with
the furthest target, or 50 yards, whichever is closer. The safety zone will
then extend 100 yards from all points on the shooting line, or half the
distance from the shooting line to a line parallel to the farthest target,
whichever is greater. A larger safety zone is recommended if possible.

A waiver may be requested for shorter ranges provided there is a physical
barrier, which will stop arrows. This waiver must be requested in writing
from the DEM-Target Archery only and approval must be received in writing
and retained by the Marshal in charge at the site. The DEM-Target Archery
may provide restrictions in order to use the modified range, such as
restricting bow type and poundage.

So *technically* at the moment the Law on the books applies???  I hope not
as it was changed due to specific safety failures of the length of the old
safety zone.

Jonathas