[Archers] Rules rewrite

Siegfried siegfried at crossbows.biz
Wed Dec 14 06:00:52 PST 2011

I'll give my feelings on that.  Since we've had that rule for a 'long
time'(tm), and IIRC, I wrote that one 'back then'.

The concept was a 'let the marshals be smart' and make good calls :)

That typically, yes, we want obvious safety lines for each range being
clearly marked.  So that someone who is clueless about archery, doesn't
walk right into a live range.  (Raise hands all who have had this
happen?  *raises hand*)

At the same time, there are some situations where it's visually obvious,
where you shouldn't be, without having to string up safety tape.

An example, would be the last Kingdom Archery Championship.  (or pretty
much any of them).  Where you have a field full of targets in a ring.
And it's very obvious that you stay in the 'center' :)

At the same time, I'll point out that the original concept behind that,
was back when we would make sure that we always had lots of space
between targets, so that they could all be shot & retrieved
independently with zero 'iffyness'.

Lately a trend that I've seen (no judgement, there are benefits), of
setting up ranges where there is a desire to have more targets than
there is room to shoot independently.

And therefore the idea that certain targets are 'linked', and have to be
shot/retrieved together.

Which has led to some 'iffyness' and safety confusion in the past.
Where someone goes to retrieve without realizing that their safety is
tied to the range next to them.

Though I'm not sure if any range markings would help with that really.

Siegfried