[Archers] Read and Spread the Word

loreleielkins at aol.com loreleielkins at aol.com
Mon Dec 12 12:07:29 PST 2011

Here are my notes from Unevent – Target Archery 2011

Teaching/Trainingrequirements:

New     Form: I created a new MiT form that will be up on the web site soon.  If you would like a copy before then,     please contact me at LoreleiElkins at aol.com   The primary changes are     that…

 Three events will be needed to complete      apprentice marshal training (not two).

One      event (such as Pennsic) can not count as all three training events.  So even if you spend a week MiT-ing at      Pennsic, it will count as ONE event.       I do this so people get used to all aspects of an archery range      including set up and take down, running the line and working on different      ranges AND, under different marshals and autocrats.

There      is a space on the new form for the name of MiT's mentor.  As we talked about at last year’s      Unevent, I want all marshals to have a mentor.  There is a sign off spot on the new form      for the Mentor, so that he or she will have final say as to whether the      MiT is ready for their Warrant or not.

If you     are a teaching marshal, you’ll be getting an email from me separately to remind you of what my expectations are of the teaching marshals.  I’ve updated the teaching outline that     you should be teaching your class from.      A lot of people took a lot of time and energy to put this     together.  You need to use it     instead of teaching off the top of your head.  Look for my email in the next couple of     days.

PS:     Much of the MiT form rewrite and new requirements/teaching marshal &     class requirements  were done in     response to feedback that some of our marshals are being a bit slack out     there on the range, and/or MiTs are not as well trained as they should     be.  I’ve worked with the Kingdom     DEM for Training on this matter.

Policy/Rules Rewriteupdate:

100     yard rule stands.  Work with     it.  It is modified some what.  I’ll attempt to attach the rules file     to an email for this list.  The Kingdom Earl Marshal has a copy of the rules re-write, however, I do NOT know when they will be officially updated.  Other changes are….

Marshals     can inspect own equipment

Send Quarterly Reports (By the FIRST of the month please.)

Added     Atlantian Atlatl Rounds  (I wrote up     a modified Atlatl Rounds based on comments from the individuals involved     in the policy rewrite, that will be forthcoming.  Basically, 6 darts instead of 3 and     bumped the categories up by 5 points.      (Jonathas I’ll get those changes to you ASAP.)

Website Updates:

Making     sure info is consistent across all web sites, i.e. on the Kingdom marshals     page it currently says that “Atlantia follows SCA Target Archery rules     without exception”.  I have     contacted the person in charge of that and he will make the changes.

·        MiT “Blue Pages”: currently on the MiT page, it does not have a provision to move their names to the suspended list if they haven’t taken a class since the Dark Ages, soooo, after some checking around we discovered that…
·         “3.1.3.1.7.2   Apprentices must meet the requirements listed for all
marshals in Item 3.1.3.1.9 (below).

And in 1.9 it states (among other things):

3.1.3.1.9.1   All marshals must attend an Atlantian Marshal's Seminar
in their discipline once every three years. This could be their
discipline meeting at Unevent or any marshal's training approved by
the Earl Marshal or the appropriate discipline deputy.”
 So, if someone comes up to you and they say that they are and MiT, and you have never seen them on the range before, you might want to ask them when was the last time they had their update class…until then, I’m contacting
them individually (from the list) to give them a heads up.  I’ve contacted the web folks to make the corrections on this as well.
 Saint Sebastian’s Prize Shoot (Update by Janyn)

Janyn     still needs marshal volunteers to help run the event, and non-marshals are     welcome too to help with set up and take down, food, prizes, etc.  Please contact him and/or Baroness     Martelle to let them know how you can help.  We still need volunteers to bring     targets.  And a theme? Last year was     medieval monsters.

Working with Youth

YAMIT     Program, encourage teens to join (I will get the details to Jonathas so     that he can put them up on the Archery web page.)

Interactions     with youth on the line: I gave a reminder, after receiving some feedback     and witnessing some interactions myself, that you are able to be firm when     working with kids without scaring the crap out of them.  We want their archery experience to be     positive and instructive but safe at the same time.  You can accomplish all those things.

BE     NICE!!

Can anyone think of anything I forgot?

Lorelei

PS Sir Otto, our Kingdom Earl Marshal informed me that the DEM position is for THREE years, not two, but since Janyn will do an awesome job, I will step aside as agreed come Spring Coronation.  He will be your new DEM for Target Archery unless he pisses off the Earl Marshal or Royals between now and then. (I doubt that will happen, he is extremely competent.)  Future DEMs, take note that the job is a three year position.