[Archers] More Broken Bows

Garth Groff ggg9y at virginia.edu
Mon Dec 12 05:10:34 PST 2011

Noble friends,

This Saturday I was inspecting and prepping our bows before leaving for
a practice. I was planning to shoot the new traditional yew longbow I
got a few weeks back. After inspecting the bow, I thought I would blow
off a few arrows on the 8-yard range I have in the basement. I hadn't
even drawn the bow halfway with my first arrow before it exploded into
three pieces, right at eye-level. I feel very lucky that I wasn't
injured, but all the pieces were cast forward.

The good news is that I emailed the bowyer and he got right back to me
with an offer of a similar bow he was just finishing. He even offered me
an osage orange longbow at half price. I politely declined his generous
offer, and asked for the next yew bow. I really want this for living
history demonstrations, and a substitute wood just won't work (I already
have a hickory traditional longbow which I wanted to replace with yew).
The next yew bow will not be shot. I have plenty of other bows for that.

So are there lessons to be learned here? Probably not, since I went
through the whole inspection cycle (except the drawing, which would have
had the same effect). So Baron Colum is not alone.

I propose we start an honorary order, the Society of Shattered Stave
Survivors. Any Scadian archer who has had a bow completely break is
eligible for membership with all rights and duties pertaining (which are
none). I nominate Baron Colum, Lady Sarah Sinclair who broke an Ed
Brayette bow at practice, and myself. Any others?

Kind regards,

Lord Mungo Napier, Shire of Isenfir TA Marshal