[Archers] (no subject)

jmu1861 at aol.com jmu1861 at aol.com
Tue Sep 28 18:26:35 PDT 2010

Speaking as a former landed baron I can say that when I attended such meetings I did not try to do the job of the staff.  I had my own job.  I let them do theirs.  Remember, barons have no legal authority.  They have lots of influence, but zero authority.  Just because someone at the meeting is a marshal, if they are not there in that capacity then do not expect them to do the marshals job for them.

As MiC of Tournament of Friends earlier this year, I did make it a point to ensure all of my discipline marshals had what they needed and did their jobs.  As Siegfried quoted from the rules, the MiC can appoint deputies and I did.  When the issue came up on this list about safety zones I went to the autocrat and told him we might have to realign the range.  He, the archery MiC and the site owner worked it out quite well without me.  They just let me know what they did.

Again, if you are the discipline MiC for an event then you are the expert.  It is your job to communicate what you need to the autocrat and the MiC.  Many autocrats do not participate in marshal activities at all, and I cannot think of anyone in this kingdom who is a marshal in every discipline.  I doubt we have a marshal who is even authorized as a participant in every marshalate activity.  OK, maybe one.  But he is old and weird.

Geoffrey ~