[Archers] Congratulations!

Siegfried siegfried at crossbows.biz
Mon Sep 27 19:24:27 PDT 2010

> "I suggest you work within your Barony/Shire/etc to come up with a
> document that explains how the relationships between autocrat/mic/
> marshals/feastocrat/etc work"
>
> Do you have one I could look over?  You continue to insist that
> autocrats have the right to cancel archery on the day of the event, at a
> whim and without cause.  Where are you getting this from?  I would like
> to see it for myself.

I do not have one handy, though I understand some Baronies have such a
document.  If you google for 'Autocrat handbook', you'll find a number
of different Barony/Kingdom variations on this.

Each group runs things differently.  I've gotten the chance to
experience that.  They each have a 'groove' that tends to work (or
doesn't work) for them.  In most groups, by my experience, the autocrat
'runs the show', and everyone else, for lack of a better metaphor, works
for them.  Each has a different 'management style', but in the end, they
are in charge.

If you want some specific references to rules, I can't give you much,
but what does exist, is this section in Society Rules:

II.D. Individuals in Charge of Events
"Each Society event must have one Society member appointed by the
sponsoring branch in attendance and responsible for the general conduct
of the event. " [...] "Where an event includes a variety of activities,
the responsible member is the branch Seneschal or someone designated by
the branch Seneschal (usually called an Autocrat or Event Steward)."

Also this section about the autocrat-MIC relationship in Atlantian
Policy (I take 'nature of the scenario' to also include 'not having a
scenario'):

3.1.3.2.1.7   MIC-Events must set scenarios, or delegate to a
MIC-Discipline. Note that the event's Autocrat defines the general
nature of the scenario; however, all details of the execution of the
scenarios are in the purview of the MIC-Event and MIC-Discipline.

The one very legal aspect, is that the Autocrat, by Society Law, and by
Kingdom law (Kingdom quoted below), does have the final 'plug' that can
be pulled.  The autocrat can state the magic words: "I'm pulling
sanction from the event".  At that point in time.  The entire event is
over, and all marshals (even if not working as a marshal that day), MUST
leave (Granted, Society doesn't take lightly to sanction being pulled
frivolously):

3.1.3.1.9.6   If any officer with the authority (such as the event
Autocrat, local, regional, or Kingdom Seneschale) removes sanction from
an event, all warranted marshals must leave the site.

> "I wish this had not been brought up in public, for I have no desire to
> drag dirt and muck... PLEASE do not deign to discuss items of which you
> do not truly know the details"
>
> Please don't play the victim here.  You were the one who brought this up
> in public

I did not name names, however, nor specific event details, as you did :(

> "All 'problems' that occurred at HRM were *NOT* problems of the
> autocrat. ...problems that existed there were completely because [the
> MIC] was not active in the planning process ...direct your anger
> somewhere else than the autocrat"
>
> I'm not blaming the autocrat. And I never said my anger was
> directed there.

You stated that there were 'last minute mods' to space, and that troll
could not be moved.  Both of those situations are under purview of the
autocrat.  My apologies if I misinterpreted these words, and you meant
something else.

>  These discussions center around the need for MICs to
> work more closely with their Autocrats, to educate them about
> kingdom-directed policy so they don't make decisions based in ignorance.

Agreed.

> Also, I apologize if my manner with you has been disrespectful.

Apology accepted.