[Archers] New Article "War Archery & Social Status

John Atkins cogworks at triad.rr.com
Wed Sep 15 10:30:35 PDT 2010

To add to the list of nobles in period who used the bow, Assyrians.
I've seen some absolutely splendid stone murals in the London Museum of
lion hunts and battles.  Stunning stuff!

As for a peerage for archers, it is historically documentable, though
not on par with knights and peers of that level.  But as Mungo says, we
are recreating the Middle Ages the way it should have been (let's see,
indoor plumbing, shower daily, brush teeth, peerage for archers, small
things like that!).

As for Siegfried's dissection of Seamus, some folks just deserve it.
hahahahahahaha  Besides, we all know Siegfried is just mean.  Why do you
think they made him a baron?  hahahahahaha
It's sad that I have to include this but.........the preceding was
HUMOR.  Laugh!

There exists a fine line of awards between the Yewbow and the Stag.  I
personally feel a member of the Yewbow should be an individual that
others look at and think ARCHER first and foremost.  As such a degree of
skill must exist and be displayed consistently.  What I mean here is
don't shoot in the 80's to get the medallion then NEVER get back to that
level of shooting.  Even when Eneguy switched eyes he came back and
that's a very hard thing to do, at least for me it would be.  If an
individual consistently contributes to the archer community but lacks
skill with bow then the Stag is the appropriate award.  If they
contribute and have the skill, then the Yewbow.  Of course the real
issue becomes a definition of "skill".  But I also do not believe an
individual who is a crack shot but never contributes should be a Yewbow.
I think that's obvious.

cog