[Archers] New Article "War Archery & Social Status

Garth G. Groff ggg9y at virginia.edu
Wed Sep 15 09:00:47 PDT 2010

  Mistress Lorelei and friends,

This was a very interesting article, and shows some very good secondary
research. Based on my own readings, I could dispute a couple of his
conclusions, but on the whole find agreement with his thesis.

Let's not forget that some other historic kings were mighty archers. The
young Henry VIII was one of the finest archers (and most egotistical) in
England, one reason his armies continued to use the bow long after it
had become unfashionable on the Continent. Henry never went to war with
his bow, but many kings of India did, often fighting from chariots. And
while out of our time period, many pharaohs and other nobles of Egypt
also fought from chariots with their bows. When it comes to legend
(often based on historic fact), Ulysses, Arjuna and Rama were all mighty
archer kings.

As for the question of a peerage for archers, there is no reason we
shouldn't have such ranks. There certainly is plenty of material to
justify peerage. In addition, the the Known World of our society is not
a slavish imitation of the real middle ages, but rather one of our own
creation where anything can happen if we have the will.

Kind regards,

Lord Mungo Napier, Shire of Isenfir Target Archery Marshal