[Archers] Known World Archery Championship

cogworks at triad.rr.com cogworks at triad.rr.com
Sat Oct 30 11:14:31 PDT 2010

The idea of a Known World Archery Champion has been posed for some time now on the SCA Archery list.  As with most things, a great many objections to it have been posted, the biggest one being not all can attend wherever the competition is being held.  But that being said, Pennsic is the largest gathering of SCA folks.  I think it would be great to have a Known World Archery Champion competition held and Pennsic seems the most logical choice for location.  I would suggest it span over two days.  Day one, any and all who choose may vie.  Day two, the top group of archers based on score from day one shoot.  (Top group to be determined.)  The best of this group wins the title of Known World Archery Champion.  Day one could have many archers.  Day two could easily be cut down to a much smaller, manageable group.  As for the argument that not all can attend for a variety of reasons, simple, if you want to vie for the position, you show up.  I see this as no different than vieing for kingdom archery champion.  If you can't make that year's competition, come next year.  The issue of crossbows shooting against handbows would need to be addressed with a possible solution of a Known World Corssbow Champion and a Known World Handbow Champion identified.

As for novelty shoots, this too has been done at Pennsic.  Earl Mika brought a Viking boat and other targets to Pennsic one year for archer enjoyment.  Some of us talked of replicating this effort but mundane life interceeded.  One year one individual did a fund raiser shoot of what he called endurance.  100 arrows shot on the same day.  Not much for endurance by Atlantian standards.  Not terribly exciting shoot but it wasn't clout, slot, advancing/retreating man!

I will say that after ten plus years of attendance at Pennsic I am W-A-Y more than bored with the populace war point shoot of clout, slot and advancing/retreating man.  Seems the Pennsic archery MICs get no points for creativity.  PERSONAL OPINION.

SECOND PERSONAL OPINION - If you go to Pennsic for the archery, save your money.  Come to SAAD.  The targets are W-A-Y more interesting, there are W-A-Y more targets, there are W-A-Y more prizes to be had and it's a weekend event so it costs less.

cog
Member GOBC
MIC for SAAD VI