[Archers] Pennsic

Holly Gibbons holly0920 at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 28 18:49:26 PDT 2010

Dear Archer-Comrade Napier:

I almost fainted at your posting. Please allow me to defend myself in this court
of opinion. I have no grudge against anyone, let alone the hard-working MIC's at
Pennsic. Perhaps you do not realize that I have shot with the champions team for
the last two years.

I must reiterate again that what I am working for is a kingdom/individual
championship shoot that is outside the war and the war points. I am completely
inspired by the thrown weapons range at Pennsic. We come together but once a
year like this: with two weeks and hundreds of acres at our disposal, it seems
we could have a war PLUS have a known world archery championship as well.

Anyone who has actually designed and run one of those "famous legendary
Atlantain populace all-day archery shoots" can tell you that it is a full-time
job for months in advance and takes at least three days to run. We, all of us
together, cannot do this at Pennsic.

I have given brief thought to the numbers. If you have 8 stations, teams of
four, and it takes a team 1.5 hours to shoot, and you want the shooting to take
no more than 4 hours so you can setup/takedown in one day, you cannot manage
more than 70 or so archers, tops. There is just no feasible means of holding an
open populace shoot at Pennsic, in addition to the one already in place.

My vision would be to have a novelty shoot as an adjunct to all the other
goings-on at the range, a shoot that would have 6 to 8 really challenging
targets, very difficult stuff, to allow Atlantia's finest to show their stuff
and have fun at Pennsic, since by convention and tradition, for whatever
probably very valid reasons, so many are not in on the war champs team.

It is really very simple, at heart. Please do not imply that I hold grudges, or
wish to work at cross-purposes to the Pennsic war and the Archery War Point. I
only hope to enrich the range and its offerings, to the happiness and delight of
Atlantia's finest archers. I cannot bear to sit at Pennsic missing
my archery-partners-in-crime who won't spend their vacations there because they
cannot enjoy their favorite game!

Please believe me that I hold no prejudice or judgement against beginning
archers: I was recently one myself. But then, at that time, I personally found
more than enough challenge on the populace range with the war points targets and
with the odd novelty shoot for variety.

Nuala of Needwood Forest

Original Message: 2