[Archers] Known World Archery Championship - was: Re: E.Gads and Pennsic

Siegfried siegfried at crossbows.biz
Tue Oct 26 06:25:37 PDT 2010

> I would love to see changes in Pennsic archery and I know I am in good
> and plentiful company. Can Atlantia call for and sponsor such a known
> world champioship? (I love the idea of everyone bringing a target.) If
> we do not push for change it will not happen. So I would gladly work for
> this and I would love a dialogue about the possibilities with those many
> archers (yes, you) who are far wiser and more experienced than I am in
> the ways of Pennsic and interkingdom politics, because I haven't a clue
> of where to start.

Let me state, that I would love the idea of a true Known World
Championship at Pennsic.  Be it the ability for any Kingdom/group/etc to
furnish their own 'team' to send through a course ... or be it an
individual competition, or ... well, whatever it takes.

Let me say; however, that this is not the first time said concept has
been brought up, nor is it the first time that it's been 'attempted' at
Pennsic.  (Gulf Wars, in fact, has a similar thing).

In practice tho, it's failed to come to fruition at Pennsic.  Primarily
because of history/politics/etc.

Realize that Pennsic, is in fact not a 'known world' event, even if it's
"seen as such" in the eyes of the world.  It is in fact, a Midrealm/East
jointly hosted event, that happens to be on AEthelmearc grounds.  It's
up to the Mid/East to decide what happens.

And every year, the 'decision making process' (read: politics with big
nasty teeth) come out, things get changed/moved/mangled ... even slight
changes to 'how things are done' get discussed to death, etc.

Some of it is based upon "That's what we've always done" ... Some of it
is based upon the politics of the various sides (Royalty) trying to 'win
the war', etc.

The problem in running such an event therefore, is that, IMO, the
'status quo' of Pennsic staff/setup, will not be doing it.  Because it's
not part of the Mid/East war.

The flip-problem then, if someone wants to completely run it as a
'novelty shoot', is that for the size/nature of this, you will need to
shut down the range for an entire day ... which needs to get past the
Mid/East who are running it, and onto the schedule.

Secondly, you are going to need to provide all the targets yourself, you
are going to need to provide all the marshals (though you can certainly
put out a call for help), you are going to need to provide setup crews,
(and re-setup crews to rebuild the range afterwards).

Basically, one's Pennsic is going to be: "Planning, running, executing"
that shoot.   I know a number of the Head Mid/East marshals well, and
their entire Pennsic is given up just to running the range/event that
they have now (including weeks of prep beforehand) ... Heck, even as
Kingdom TA Marshal of Atlantia, most of your war becomes helping
run/prepare for the populace & championship shoot.  So adding any extra
'thing' to that, doesn't fit.

Heck, even 'cool things' we managed to do in some years.  Like the year
we had 4 teams for the Championship.  East, Mid, East Allies, Mid Allies
... only lasted the one year, because next year's negotiations between
Mid/East Royalty, removed it.

In any case, Do not let me completely discourage you.  I would love to
see this happen.  I think it's a great idea.  But there are some major
hurdles to overcome, in order to affect this.  Earl Mika actually before
he left Atlantia, tried to start a tradition of the 'Atlantian Longship
shoot', a novelty shoot to be held there at Pennsic, and after 1 (or 2?)
years, it died off due to logistics.

All that being said.  The 'real' solution here, coming from a non
Mid/East person, would be for Pennsic to finally get over the Mid/East
mindset, and just become an 'awesome event for everyone who attends', in
heavy/rapier/archery/etc ...

But I do not see that happening, at least, I do not see that happening
anytime soon.   We've had 39 years of tradition of it being a cutthroat
war.  And even the couple times recently, when there have been attempts
to remove that aspect - It's backfired/failed miserably.

(Think back to the War, what was it, 2-3 years ago?  When the King of
the Mid, at opening ceremonies, tried to give all war points to the East
so that the war was over and everyone could just have fun? - That didn't
go so well)