[Archers] Youth Archery

Holly Gibbons holly0920 at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 2 19:53:47 PDT 2010

Dearest Anne Rose:

In Atlantia there's no separate youth archery program so our kids shoot royal
rounds like everyone else. I don't think Ceridwyn ever scored from the 40 until
she moved out of her 14 bow and got the 20 she has now. The few youth archers
all know each other up here in the north, but I wouldn't say that my children
were really looking for other children to be archers with. Instead I think
they really appreciated the advice and mentoring of adults in the sca, and they
have always enjoyed competing against adults (Godai who is iinfinitely kind and
patient and wise will attest to how much pleaseure Ceridwyn has had trying to
catch up to him - - to no avail).

The IKAC has both children's and youth divisions but it has crazy rules - - as
soon as you score well they kick you out even if you are 7 years old, and you
have to shoot the adult IKAC distances, post scores on the adult list, and
there's no way to identify who is a child on the list. So the youth of the known
world have no way of knowing how they stack up against youth from other
kingdoms, and the designation of "winner" in the child or youth division of the
IKAC is completely meaningless.

BTW, the one place Ceridwyn has made really good friends among other youth
archers is at Pennsic. She has a regular gang there. The other place to find
good youth archers is at a traditional bow event like we have here at Baltimore
Bowmen every spring.

How old is your young archer friend? Ceridwyn is 12 and I could pass along a
message if you like. She has a facebook page, which is another option for
getting them connected. What about Pietre and Oilliam, the bright young
archers of Bright Hills? They are about the same age, too. Lorelei might know of
other good tween archers in the south of Atlantia.