[Archers] Atlatl points quest for info and ideas

Robyn Becker reyne_telarius at hotmail.com
Wed May 19 07:54:25 PDT 2010

Hi all!  I was wondering, do we have a set standard for atlatl points?  I ask because I have been using 23/64" points - the largest field points I can find, and am not happy with them.  Every time I hit a target, or even sometimes, the ground, I lose a point.  The darts I have are all 1/2" in diameter, and I don't have the ability to taper the atlatl shaft down enough for the 23/64" points to have any decent surface contact with the shaft.

3RiversArchery has many types of points, including a long bodkin-shaped point which could accomodate the wood shafts I have.  I'm tempted to buy some, and see how they work.  But I don't know if there's anything ruling against them regarding the atlatl.  I know they're not legal for regular arrow shafts.

Also, I'm looking to try making new darts from bamboo, and have been searching for something affordable and SCA legal to use as points.  so far, I've found some metal forged arrow-head points from 3Rivers, but again, the question of them being legal or not arises.

And ideas, suggestions or just basics thoughts on this subject would be greatly appreciated.

Reyne

A true friend is someone who knows all your faults and habits, and loves you anyway.
Per chevron purpure and vert, two sheaves of arrows and a griffin argent