[Archers] Specifically, the 'written exception' rule

John Atkins cogworks at triad.rr.com
Sat Mar 6 12:56:03 PST 2010

1)  Remove:  "The zone will then extend straight back from those points
for 40 yards, or half the distance from the shooting line to the target,
whichever is greater."
 2)  Add to it:  "The safety zone will then extend 100 yards from all
points on the shooting line, or half the distance from the shooting line
to a line parallel to the farthest target, whichever is greater."

While the above two points may seem blantantly obvious to some, I think
to many they are not, and as discussed on this list some confusion
remains.  Point 1 above, Remove, states the distance of ths safety zone
extends straight back from those points for......  This inplies that the
safety zone distance mandated extends from the shooting line towards the
targets, or the shooting direction.  Point 2 above, Add to it, stated
the safety zone will then extend from ALL points on the shooting line.
I think it is very easy to interpret this wording to mean the inclusion
of a 100 yard zone BEHINDE and TO THE SIDES of the shooter's position.
Thus do these wordings intend to mean the safety zone looks much like
the baseball home plate with the point of the diamond squared off, or
that same home plate in the middle of an oval that is 100 yards distance
from every point on the line.

3)  Add language to allow a waiver at the discretion of the DEM-Archery.

The issue of the TA DEM being the only person able to issue a waiver has
been discussed ad nauseum and seems extremely impractical to me due to
the size of Atlantia and the varried set ups on event ranges.  I believe
regional marshals should be authorized to issue these exceptions as
well.

4)  Add: "The MIC-Target Archery will design the range with safety being
the primary concern.  Range design will account for control of the
shooters, visibility of the range and the surrounding area, site layout
and foot and vehicle traffic patterns."

I strongly believe that if a TA Marshal is known to set and/or run
ranges that do not have safety concerns formost they should be put on
suspension and undergo strict re-warranting after review.  We are
shooting real weapons and they can kill.  Safety MUST be paramount.
Marshal = safety officer!

I do not see anywhere in the new rule wording that use of an acceptable
backstop of any configuration is accomodated.  In reality shooting into
a hill provides a much more realistic range limiter than a 100 yard over
shoot zone.  As Gregg pointed out a 20 pound bow set up correctly can
shoot an arrow about 125 yards or more.  Most of us shoot bows of higher
poundage.

As to the point of allowing shooting to continue should someone venture
into the safety zone not included in the 30 degree area from the
shooting station, 10/10 (assuming the home plate configuration), while
strictly passable by this rule (again making the assumption about the
configuration) I have personally witnessed many an occasion where
shooting was halted if/when someone ventured into this zone.  On few
occasions the person was allowed to remain in this area under the
watchful eye of the range marshal for the purposes of taking pictures.
When I personally have allowed this, on rare occasion, I have moved to
that end of the line so I can better watch the shooters and the
photographer.

cog