[Archers] what about woods shoots?

Siegfried siegfried at crossbows.biz
Thu Mar 4 11:59:06 PST 2010

> So, looks like we're approaching some clarity on the field layout
> under the new archery rule; it basically requires an entire football
> field (48 yards x 100 yards) to allow 1 person to shoot a royal round.

Again, realize as I now have.  This is only a minor change from the
previous rule that we've had for (umm, 5 years?  Longer?) and the
Society recommendations which have been the same forever.

We've just gone from 48x80yds to 48x100yds.   The bigger change is just
for shorter targets, still needing 100yds of depth.

> However, I wonder what this does to woods walk shoots? I would think a
> strict interpretation of the new rule pretty much kills any chance at
> having a shoot in the woods, at least on any of the several ranges
> where I've seen this done. If someone can clarify that this is not
> really the case, that would be great.

I see very little impact of this ruling on woods walks (other than
ensuring you have enough depth into the distance, which usually isn't a
problem in the woods).  I'm curious where you see a potential problem.
You may have different experiences w/ woods walks.

The bigger impact I see here for the woods walks, is in requiring the
'written exception to the depth rule'.  Since many woods walks have you
moving around/near a hill, using it as a backdrop, a safe proposition,
but requiring written exception by DEM-TA now.

Of course, to note that the safety zone in question is a zone to be kept
clear during shooting of a particular target.   There is nothing to say
that other targets/etc can't share safety zones.  Just as long as the
zones are clear during shooting.

It has been, and would continue to be, common practice to do things like:

* Having lots of targets setup, and having everyone walk through them,
one at a time, shooting them & retrieving as a group.

* Having a 'line' of targets, where everyone walks along shooting each,
as their safety ranges would overlap, then everyone retrieves together

* Having two ranges near each other, or oblique to each other, where the
two lines therefore are run together, and retrieved together, since
while one is being retrieved, people would be in the safety zone of
another.  (Pennsic actually did this one year with two of the ranges)