[Archers] Trying to make some sense...

Garth G. Groff ggg9y at virginia.edu
Mon Jul 19 10:20:15 PDT 2010

Lord Christophe and friends,

A couple of months ago I had just set up our practice range which is on
a gas line right-of-way. Unfortunately, part of the safety zone overlaps
a neighbor's property, but our host has worked this out with the
neighbor. I just had the range ready when the neighbor drove his tractor
with a mowing machine behind onto the safety zone. He stopped and looked
at me, as I made bow drawing motions. He waved then made his own bow
drawing motion, and drove off. Five minutes later he was back for
another pass, then another. At that point I shut down the range (I was
hearing thunder anyway). Now it is the guy's property, but either he's
is stupid or cloddish, or both, since obviously he understood we were
about to shoot. (Sigh!).

Because of weather (and this bozo) we haven't held practice since March,
and because of Pennsic we won't shoot this month either. (Another
sigh!). I'm sure glad we have paid access to a 20-yard indoor range at
the Hunt'nShak. There we just get interupted by good ole boys who want
to buy fancy bows with training wheels and need to test them out. At
least Lady Sarah and I can impress them with bare bow shooting,
something most of them have never tried and some have never even seen.

Kind regards,

Lord Mungo Napier, Shire of Isenfir Target Archery Marshal