[Archers] atlatl was Fwd: Fwd: I need your help (from Enequy)

Jonathan Mitz jonathanmitz at grunley.com
Tue Aug 24 08:02:56 PDT 2010

I would like to add my thoughts to the debate.

The current Atlantian rules for Atlatl are based on an archery mind set.
People who can only count to 5, and need colors to help!  In the mundane
world of Atlatl hurlers, they can count to 10; however, they have to
start at 6.  Don't ask where 1 through 5 went.  But at least they can do
it in black and white.  Please see the attached image of their official
atlatl target.  The target looks to be 100cm in diameter.

My research has uncovered the distances at which they throw and the
number of darts at each distance vary somewhat by club.  The closest is
6 meters and the furthest is 25 meters.  The total number of darts in an
official round appears to be 10, either two stations of 5 darts each, or
5 stations with 2 darts each.

The current Atlantian throwing distances are 20, 30 and 40 yards.  Since
we in the SCA try to have fun, anything past 20 yards for a 60sm target
does not meet that standard.

I propose the following:
Target:  standard Royal Round 60cm 5 color target.
Distances:  10 yards, 15 yards, and 20 yards
Number of darts at each distance: 3
Highest possible score is 45.

Jonathan