[Archers] Excise Tax - Re: Fletchers: Lost goodies from 3Rivers catalog

Siegfried siegfried at crossbows.biz
Mon Apr 19 07:18:48 PDT 2010

> I saw this someplace, but it was either in error, or I misinterpreted
> what the headline said. Actually, only the tax on "kiddie" arrows was
> eliminated.

Ahh, I see.  And here I was hoping that it was that all the archery
excise taxes had been lifted.

>  They really ought to do away with the excise tax completely,
> or at least shift the proceeds to wildlife programs, since there are
> only a very few wooden arrow/shaft manufacturers in the country and it
> an unfair burden on some very small producers.

Well, actually 100% of the proceeds of the excise tax on archery
equipment goes directly to supporting public hunting grounds (and
therefore, wildlife programs)

That was the point of the tax.

I do agree/wish that they would get rid of it, or modify it more however.

As it doesn't take into account:

1) That wooden shafts and carbon/fiber/alum/etc are being taxed equally,
and unfairly.  The flat .45 per 'shaft' isn't onerous when applied to a
hunter, who only buys 6 carbon shafts (ever), that cost $5 each anyway.
   When applied to a target archer, using wooden shafts, which are
cheaper to begin with, AND are far more prone to needing '100 a year' to
keep up your habit.  Suddenly there is a huge difference.  The medieval
target archer pays $45 a year in excise tax, while the modern hunter
(who the money is going to support), pays $3 in his lifetime.

2) The difference between 'bows meant for hunting' and 'bows meant for
target use'.   Kid bows have been exempt for a while, but the definition
is very strict.  Having it spelled out that items specifically designed
for 'target use' by their nature.  Such as Medieval replica crossbows,
under 150#.  Target Bows under 40#, etc.   Would be a huge boon.