[Archers] Fletchers: Lost goodies from 3Rivers catalog

Garth G. Groff ggg9y at virginia.edu
Mon Apr 19 05:27:18 PDT 2010

M'Lady Lorelei and friends,

Most of the shafts I have bought over the years came from FS Discount
Archery ( http://www.fsdiscountarchery.com/ ). They sell Acme/Rose City
"select" POC shafts, currently for $25.95/dozen. If you make a LOT of
arrows, they will give you good quantity discounts. They also have
Trueflight feathers in 36-packs, and AMG parabolic feathers in 50 packs
(both cheaper than 3Rivers). I occasionally buy shafts from 3Rivers if I
need some other stuff at the same time, but generally their prices for
shafting are too high.

When I used to shoot ash, I bought some shafts from Raptor Archery (
http://www.raptorstore.com/store/ ) . I don't use ash anymore, and the
last order of shafts have never been used.

I have ordered unusual points, horn inserts, and some other stuff from
the Longbow Shop in Wallasea, England (
http://www.fsdiscountarchery.com/ ). Jason (it's a one-man operation)
sells some very interesting points you can't find over here. His prices
for points are generally lower than comparable items in the US, and his
shipping is less than US domestic mail. Once caution: One shipment was
rerounted by HM Post by sea because it contained "Weapons or Parts of
Weapons". It took two months to arrive.

Two sources for very realistic medieval points are Northwest Archery (
http://www.nwarchery.com/arrowbuildingsupplies/ ) and Richard Head
Longbows ( http://www.english-longbow.co.uk/cat20.htm#Longbows ). Note
that Richard Head offers points in his own line, and also Hector Cole's
hand-forged points. I have not bought anything from any of these
vendors, but that have some pretty neat stuff I'm keeping in mind for
future projects.

If you are whipping the fletching of traditional arrows, get some ecru
or red crochet thread from Michaels or a fabric shop. Don't waste your
money on specialized threads and cords. The expensive whipping thread I
bought turned out to be a standard line of sewing thread I could have
purchased right here in Charlottesville.

At your service,

Lord Mungo Napier, Shire of Isenfir Target Archery Marshal