[Archers] Fletchers: Another painting of a man with an arrow

Garth G. Groff ggg9y at virginia.edu
Thu Apr 8 08:47:37 PDT 2010

Lord Christophe and friends,

Compare http://www.nga.gov/fcgi-bin/tinfo_f?object=49 with the earlier
image. The National Gallery version is much clearer (though smaller but
with better colors). Detail close-ups are available by first clicking on
"full screen image" and then "detail images". The thumbnail-sized
details can then be blown up to a fair size. Response time is slow, but
everything on the web seems to be moving like a turtle today. It appears
that what might have been the nock has now completely disappeared in the
National Gallery scan.

I think is is possible that this arrow actually is a trophy as Lord
Christophe suspects, though I can't say with certainty. It certainly
doesn't appear to be shootable, though Antoine's certainly is. It is
clearly recorded that Antoine won a major tournament at Bruges circa
1460, just before his portrait was painted, and the arrow he holds is in
obvious commemoration of his victory. I suspect that from the very
functional design of his arrow, that it is actually one from his own
quiver rather than a trophy.

And yes, I also agree that the unnamed subject of this painting is
probably a noble, since few people but nobles could afford portraits,
especially by a master with Memling's stature.

Kind regards,

Lord Mungo Napier, Shire of Isenfir Archery Marshal